Success at Last

A few weeks ago, in an attempt to bring down my casting costs I decided to try my hand at sand casting. I had a basic understanding of it’s principles (thanks youtube) which are 1) a metal form, 2) a mould pressed into sand and 3) molten metal to fill that mould.

I chose the 2-part aluminum ring-type casting system which also includes a bag of delft clay and a somewhat confusing instruction sheet.

IMG_1956

My first 2 attempts following the instruction sheet were unsuccessful, both highlighting the principle that molten metal cools very quickly if your sprue channel is too short and wide or too long and narrow…

Thanks to several sand caster experts I follow on Instagram who kindly shared their knowledge I learned that I needed to ‘use gravity’ which meant modifying the aluminum rings by drilling a hole through the ring sides, like so…

IMG_1957
15 mm diametre (minimum) opening drilled into the sides of the 2 rings

Attempt # 3 didn’t go to plan at all though despite the side pouring. Apparently, my mould was too thin this time…

IMG_1922
attempt #3 – mould too narrow

And just when I figured I’d give up on sand casting with one last attempt, this happened – a complete fill of a chubbier mould!

IMG_1944
attempt #4 – a success!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s